It’s likely you are spending more time outdoors than ever this year. You’d also likely enjoy your outdoor living space more if you didn’t have to deal with pest problems! Pests may enjoy the Virginia summertime weather as much as you do, but that doesn’t mean you have to share your space with them.
At Loyal, we know how frustrating pests can be—especially when they ruin your backyard barbecue or gardening session. Following our commitment to keep our customers pest-free, our experts are here to share top tips for a pest-free patio and outdoor living area.
What Pests are Common in Your Backyard
The warm weather and longer days invite all types of insects to be out in full-force. Some pests are more of a nuisance than others, and some insects are more dangerous for you and your family! Here in Virginia, the most common pests you’ll see in your yard are mosquitoes, stinging insects (bees, wasps, and hornets), ants, spiders, ticks, fleas, and flies. Ticks and mosquitoes are especially concerning for their ability to transmit dangerous diseases to humans. For that reason alone, it’s crucial to learn how to keep pests away from your property.
Top Tips to Achieve a Pest-Free Patio
Everyone wants to be able to enjoy their time spent outside to be pest-free. This is harder than it sounds, especially this time of year. There are a few ways you can make your property less appealing to pests. Our best tips for a pest-free patio are:
- Remove any standing water. Stagnant water is one of the biggest attractants for mosquitoes.
- Keep your lawn and shrubs trimmed. Ticks and mosquitoes will shelter in overgrown vegetation or tall grass.
- Be on the lookout for ant hills. Even a tiny mound can contain thousands of ants inside.
- Inspect all wood structures. Wood-destroying pests (carpenter ants and termites) will damage your wooden decks or porches.
- Use an insect repellent. Most store-bought repellent containing DEET will help repel mosquitoes and ticks.
- Clean your patio or space regularly. Spills or leftover food will surely bring ants around.
Need Help With Outdoor Pest Control?
Pests and insects are to be expected when you’re outdoors. However, there’s no reason to let them ruin your time spent in your own backyard! The exterminators at Loyal are committed to keeping customers pest-free not just inside their homes, but outside as well. Call our team today to learn more about our residential pest control services.