How Do You Prevent Termites When Building a New Home in Eastern and Central Virginia?
One of the most effective ways to prevent termites is to take early steps when building a new property. By treating the soil and materials, you can create a safeguard against termites early on.
To prevent termites when building a new building, builders often apply treatment before, during, and after the property is built.
- Treat the lumber used in the build
- Use termite-resistant materials instead of or in addition to wood
- Apply chemicals on all points of contact where wood directly touches the ground
- Implement preventative safety measures to ensure the new home is protected
How Can You Prevent Termites When Building?
Subterranean termites, which are the most common termites here in Virginia, need contact with the soil to thrive. This makes it important to treat the soil when building a new property.
Builders will do the following to create a barrier against termites early on:
- Treat the soil to form a chemical barrier.
- Use pressure-treated or termite-resistant wood, such as resinous woods.
- Build the home in such a way to create proper drainage, best achieved by sloping the soil away from the foundation.
- When building crawlspaces, be wary of keeping wood above ground to avoid contact with soil.
- Use a galvanized steel or concrete barrier into the build which can help block entry points.
- Limit or eliminate wood-to-soil contact throughout the entire foundation by using a concrete base as a barrier.
- Build the home in a way to ensure it will receive proper ventilation to prevent excess moisture and humidity.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Preventing Termites in New Homes in Virginia
How Do You Prevent Termites When Building A New Home In Eastern And Central Virginia? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960