It’s summertime here in Virginia, and pests are out in full force! Ants are one of the most common pest problems in the summer for property owners. They tend to infest kitchens and bathrooms, and are often found trailing along your floorboards. They’re nearly impossible to get rid of without an exterminator, and their infestations can seem never ending. In order to avoid the frustration of an infestation, it’s crucial to learn the best ways to go about preventing ants in the summertime. Keep reading for expert tips from the team at Loyal Termite & Pest Control.
What Ants Are Common in the Summer?
There are more than 700 species of ants in the United States alone. Typically, you’ll only encounter a few in your lifetime. It’s important to learn about the common ants in your area in order to be better prepared for an infestation. Certain ants are more dangerous or destructive than others. The most common ants you’ll see in the summer include:
Preventing Ants in 6 Steps
Ants can seemingly appear out of nowhere. And once you have them, they’re difficult to get rid of! Thankfully, there are a few ways you can lessen the risk of getting them in the first place. Our top tips to keep ants out include:
- Avoiding excess moisture. Areas with standing water or leaks will attract ants quickly. Attend to broken pipes and clean up spills quickly.
- Trimming back trees and vegetation. Plants close to your home can encourage ants to come in. Make sure tree branches, shrubs, and bushes are trimmed away from the perimeter!
- Keeping a clean home. Sweep your floors regularly to get rid of crumbs. Ants are attracted to sugary food sources and a few crumbs will keep them coming back for more.
- Storing food properly. Avoid leaving food out uncovered. Keep food in airtight containers or store them safely in cupboards and fridges.
- Sealing entry points. Ants can crawl through the tiniest of cracks. Inspect your property and use caulk to seal any gaps, holes, or potential entry ways.
- Picking up your pet’s food. Crumbs and spills from your cat or dog’s food and water bowls can be a huge attractant for ants. Always clean up and store bowls between mealtimes.
How to Keep Ants Out All Year Long
It can be very overwhelming to know how to keep ants away. If you’ve done all you can but still have ants making their way indoors this summer, it’s best to call the team at Loyal. Our experts can work with you to develop a successful game plan for preventing ants not just this summer but year-round!
Preventing Ants in the Summertime in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960