For decades, there has been a lot of theories and myths about bed bugs circulating. As one of the most dreaded pest problems, it’s easy to understand why bed bugs are so feared. However, are the reasons why you most fear bed bugs even true? With bed bug awareness week upon us, the team at Loyal Termite & Pest Control wants to debunk common bed bug myths we often hear about. Keep reading to learn how to separate fact from fiction when it comes to bed bug problems!
Bed Bug Myths vs. Facts
When it comes to any pest problem, it’s easy to incite fear when you read false facts. Some of the most common questions we see about bed bugs include:
- Can bed bugs transmit disease?
- Thankfully, no. Bed bugs may cause you anxiety and even itchiness, but their bites do not transmit disease as mosquitoes do.
- Are bed bugs capable of living for months without feeding?
- Yes, but it’s unlikely for them to live for a year unless they are in the most optimal conditions. Young bed bugs need to feed more often than adults.
- Are bed bugs nocturnal?
- No! Bed bugs are active when their hosts are at rest. This usually means overnight, but they are able to adjust their schedule as needed.
- Can bed bugs infest areas of your home other than your bedroom?
- Bed bugs can infest anywhere–including chairs, sofas, cracks in the wall, and even power outlets. They prefer to congregate near where their hosts rest, making bedrooms the main target.
- Can you see bed bugs with the naked eye?
- Although nymphs are nearly impossible to see, adult bed bugs are about the size of an appleseed and can absolutely be seen with your own eyes.
- Do you have to get rid of infested furniture?
- No! In fact, you shouldn’t move infested furniture in the midst of an infestation. Doing so can contribute to bed bugs spreading into other areas.
- Are bed bugs more likely to infest messy homes?
- This is one of the biggest myths. Anyone is prone to a bed bug problem, regardless of how clean or cluttered your property is!
- Can bed bugs fly or jump?
- No! Unlike fleas and ticks, bed bugs have underdeveloped wings and are only capable of crawling.
What to Do About Bed Bugs in Virginia
If you have a bed bug problem, it’s important to act quickly. When it comes to bed bug control, DIY is not the answer! Getting rid of bed bugs requires the pest control industry’s best treatment options that are designed to get rid of all life stages of bed bugs in your property. The team at Loyal is proud to offer comprehensive bed bug removal services–contact us today to learn more!
8 Debunked Bed Bug Myths in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960