How to Prevent Mosquitoes in Your Yard
Mosquitoes are drawn to areas in or near your property where they can reproduce and lay their eggs. In order to do this, they need a source of standing water. To prevent mosquitoes in your yard, then, it’s important to limit the number of potential mosquito breeding grounds by taking the following measures:
- Tip out or get rid of standing water.
- Place a cover on spas, pools, and birdbaths.
- Install screens on windows and doors.
- Turn on fans to discourage mosquitoes flying around.
- Schedule regular mosquito inspections from a professional.
Why Are Mosquitoes in My Backyard?
Certain areas around the world experience more problems with mosquitoes. If you live in a region with a humid climate in the summer, you can be sure to experience a flux of mosquito problems. If you live near heavily wooded areas, you may also experience more mosquitoes. In general, mosquitoes will make themselves at home in your yard if they find suitable breeding grounds. This is why it’s crucial to eliminate the things that may attract mosquitoes.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
6 Tips to Keep Mosquitoes Away From Your Eastern and Central Virginia Yard
- Get rid of stagnant water. Get rid of standing water in buckets, flowerpots, birdbaths, tarps, and more. Mosquitoes use standing water to lay their eggs.
- Consider getting fish for ponds and agitating the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. Alternatively, adding an agitator will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Install screens on windows and doors. Installing screens on your doors and windows can keep mosquitoes from getting indoors every time you try to get some fresh air.
- Keep a tidy, maintained yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also keep plants and bushes trimmed to prevent mosquito resting spots.
- Turn on fans when outdoors. Mosquitoes hate wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor areas.
- Get regular mosquito inspections. Always look for potential mosquito breeding grounds and eliminate them. You may consider hiring your local mosquito control experts for assistance.
Professional Mosquito Prevention
If you’ve done everything you can to prevent mosquitoes and are still dealing with problems, it’s likely best to contact your local mosquito exterminators. The experts at Loyal Termite & Pest Control will work with you to prevent mosquitoes in your yard with repellents, exclusion efforts, and more.
How To Prevent Mosquitoes In Your Yard in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960