How to Prevent Mosquito Bites in Virginia
Mosquitoes are a troublesome pest for Eastern and Central Virginia residents in the spring and summer. To avoid getting devoured by mosquitoes, there are several things you can do to make yourself less appealing to the pests:
- Try to avoid spending extended periods of time outdoors at dawn and dusk, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Get rid of or cover anything that harbors standing water in your yard to eliminate mosquito breeding grounds.
- When spending time outside, wear long-sleeved shirts & pants
- Apply an EPA-registered insect repellent to skin and clothes. Always talk to your pediatrician before use on children.
Best Clothing to Repel Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes will bite you wherever you have skin exposed. This means that your arms, legs, neck, and feet are at the most risk of a mosquito bite. If possible, it’s recommended to wear long-sleeved shirts to limit skin exposure. In addition, wear pants, ideally tucked into socks, to keep your ankles protected as well. Because mosquitoes are common in the summer, it can be difficult to wear warmer clothing for protection. When you have exposed skin, consider using an EPA-registered insect repellent to keep mosquitoes from biting you.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Keep Mosquitoes From Biting Overnight
Many people have woken up during a camping trip only to discover they’ve been devoured by mosquitoes overnight. The top tips to prevent mosquitoes from biting you overnight include:
- Installing mosquito nets overnight.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants that are a bright color.
- Sleep with a fan on, as mosquitoes do not fare well with wind.
- Apply an EPA-registered repellent.
- Shower before bed to clean yourself of lingering scents.
- If indoors, keep your windows shut.
Tips to Prevent Mosquito Bites on Pets
Mosquitoes are known to occasionally bite dogs and cats. It’s important to talk with your vet about choosing a dog or cat-safe mosquito repellent. In addition, be wary of walking your dog at dawn or dusk, which is when mosquitoes are most active. During the spring, take precautions to make your property less attractive to mosquitoes by eliminating standing water. Make sure to look for scratching or signs your pets have been bitten by mosquitoes, and always take them to the vet should they exhibit any odd symptoms.
How To Prevent Mosquito Bites In Eastern & Central Virginia in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960