How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally?
If you have any kind of pest problem, including mosquitoes, you’re likely wondering how to keep them away naturally. Only some DIY or all-natural mosquito prevention methods work to repel mosquitoes. This is why it’s important to focus on the easy, effective ways you can keep mosquitoes away from you and your yard in Eastern and Central Virginia:
- Eliminate standing water on or near your property.
- Install fans in your outdoor area.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts and pants in light colors.
- Try essential oils, including lemon eucalyptus, lavender, and peppermint.
Keeping Mosquitoes Away Naturally
The easiest and most reliable way to keep mosquitoes away naturally is to get rid of anything that might attract them in the first place. The number one way to do this is to get rid of all sources of standing water. This most often collects in birdbaths, pools, children’s playsets, buckets, and more. Make sure to tip over or cover standing water regularly. In addition, mosquitoes are weak fliers and thus hate windy environments. Turning on a fan when you are in your backyard is a great way to make your outdoor area inhospitable to mosquitoes.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
DIY Mosquito Repellents
Essential oils may be a popular remedy for a number of things, but do they work as a natural mosquito repellent? It’s always important to dilute essential oils with carrier oils and to perform a skin patch test to ensure no reactions are had. Here’s what we know about the following mosquito home remedies:
- Lemon eucalyptus oil. Both the CDC and the EPA have classified lemon eucalyptus as a mosquito repellent. It’s important to note that it has not been approved on kids younger than three years old.
- Peppermint oil. When mixed with a carrier oil (such as olive or canola), peppermint is a fragrant oil that can possibly keep mosquitoes at bay.
- Catnip oil: Derived from catnip with steam distillation, catnip oil is EPA-approved and said to provide up to seven hours of protection against mosquitoes.
- Lavender oil: As another very fragrant oil, studies have shown that lavender can be effective for repelling adult mosquitoes and bites.
Even though there are a few natural repellents, they are not a reliable and lasting solution. Professional mosquito control treatments are the best way to take control of your mosquito issue.
Does Vitamin B or Coconut Oil Repel Mosquitoes?
Despite claims that taking vitamin B will repel mosquitoes over time, all research and studies have found that it does not have an effect on mosquitoes. Similar studies have been conducted on the effectiveness of coconut oil. While not found to be effective on its own, topical applications of coconut oil on the skin combined with essential oils could help to repel mosquitoes. No matter what, always consult your doctor before attempting to use any homemade mosquito repellents.
How Do You Keep Mosquitoes Away Naturally? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960