Are you one of the unfortunate people that can’t help but attract mosquitoes everywhere they go? If you aren’t a mosquito magnet yourself, you’ve probably met one, but have you ever thought about why mosquitoes choose some people over others? The truth is that we actually don’t have all the answers as to why. But we can help you strategically steer clear of mosquitoes in Eastern & Central Virginia this year! Read on for advice from the expert mosquito exterminators at Loyal Termite & Pest Control!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Certain People More Than Others?
Although some people report being bitten by mosquitoes much more often than others, experts haven’t agreed on the unchanging qualities that make certain people more susceptible to their bites than others. However, we do know what signals they look for to detect nearby hosts:
- Breath: The carbon dioxide that we release when we exhale is one of the main signals that mosquitoes use to detect hosts. Female mosquitoes actually have special receptors designed to detect carbon dioxide in the air! Excess physical activity and exercise near mosquito breeding grounds will make you a walking CO2 target.
- Body odor: The more you perspire, the more of a target you’ll become for mosquitoes. Mosquitoes can also pick up on floral perfumes and alcohol in your bloodstream, oddly enough.
- Temperature: A high internal body temperature can be a strong signal to nearby mosquitoes. This is only made worse by wearing dark clothing or being physically active.
How Can You Avoid Mosquito Bites Reliably?
Sometimes it seems like going outside in the spring and summer is like signing up for mosquito bites. This doesn’t have to be the case! Here are the three best ways to prevent mosquito bites in Eastern & Central Virginia:
- Keep watch for still water: Mosquitoes lay their eggs in pools of standing water, no matter how small. This is why mosquitoes thrive after a rainy spring! Look out for still water pooling in your gutters, planter boxes, or elsewhere—pour it out to prevent mosquito breeding grounds.
- Choose clothing wisely: Dark colors trap heat, raising your body temperature and making you more attractive to mosquitoes. You can most reliably prevent mosquito bites by wearing long sleeved shirts and pants, but this is a hard choice to make during the warmer seasons.
- Use insect repellent: An EPA-approved bug spray using DEET or picaridin will keep you safe from mosquito bites for hours. Make sure to apply as directed on the label! For those looking for all-natural alternatives, try citronella candles or lemon eucalyptus oil.
Get Help from Professional Mosquito Exterminators
Although a mosquito infestation can feel inevitable come spring and summer, you don’t have to deal with dozens of bites every year. Instead, reach out to the mosquito exterminators at Loyal Termite & Pest Control. Our team can set up a long-lasting barrier treatment that cuts off the mosquito breeding cycle and keeps your home or business safe from mosquitoes for months at a time. Reach out today for a free quote or to learn more!
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Me More Than Others? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960