Homeowners rarely see termites. However, termites can leave behind evidence of their activity. Knowing these signs of termites can help stop an infestation from wrecking your property. Although termites are active year-round, the spring and summer months are when we see an increase in their activity. To better prepare yourself to prevent termites, it’s important to learn how to recognize them early on. The pros at Loyal Termite & Pest Control are here to share their expert knowledge on the most telling signs of termites in or near your home.
Top 6 Signs of Termite Problems
If you notice any of the following signs, you may have a termite problem on your hands. Here’s what to keep your eyes peeled for:
- Mud tubes
- Subterranean termites nest underground but use mud tubes to travel.
- These pencil-sized tubes protect the termites from outdoor elements as it blocks out cool, dry air.
- Seeing mud tubes along the outside of your property is a top sign of termites.
- Termite swarms
- Every year, reproductive termites (also known as alates and swarmers) will leave their colony to mate and form new ones.
- Swarmer termites are frequently mistaken for other flying insects, especially carpenter ants.
- Seeing winged termites in the spring or summer months is a sign of termites spreading.
- Piles of wings from swarmers
- After they swarm, the reproductive termites no longer need their wings and will shed them.
- Termite wings are all the same size and translucent in color.
- After being shed, they can often appear in a pile together.
- Termite frass
- As they tunnel through dry wood as well as when they swarm, drywood termites create kick-out holes in the wood.
- This is when their droppings, also known as frass, can be found.
- Termite frass most closely resembles sawdust or coffee grounds, and can appear in groups.
- Damage from termites
- Seeing damage caused by termites is indicative of a serious infestation.
- Damage most frequently appears in wood around the home. Common damage includes unexplained cracks on walls, beams, and rafters.
- Termites can cause sagging wood in your floors, as well as hollow-sounding wood.
- Sometimes wood damage can lead to weakened baseboards and floorboards.
Help With Finding Signs of Termites
Finding signs of termite activity is often a bad sign there is a serious infestation. For this reason, it’s important to team up with a professional pest control company for regular termite inspections. Contact the termite exterminators at Loyal today to learn more about the signs of termites.
The 6 Most Telling Signs of Termites in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960