What Does a Termite Look Like?
Termites are small wood-boring insects that can take on a different appearance throughout their life stages from nymph to adult. However, they all share similar characteristics.A few ways to identify a termite is through the following characteristics:
- Termites can be ¼ – ½ inch in length
- Termites range in color from off-white to dark brown
- Their bodies are divided into three segments: the head, thorax, and abdomen
- Termites have 6 legs and straight antennae
- Certain termites called swarmers possess wings
What Are the Characteristics of Different Termites?
Different termite species and castes dictate how a termite will look, which leads to a lot of disparity in appearance. Dampwood termites are much larger than other kinds of termites and can have a reddish tint on their bodies. Drywood termites, on the other hand, can be a yellow-brown color, and wings that range from transparent to somewhat gray. Subterranean termites are typically an off-white to dark brown/black color. A professional pest control expert is the one to help identify the termite species by their appearance.
Do You Have a Termite Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Termite Caste Appearance
Termite colonies typically have four castes, and the termites within the groups can all look a little different. The caste is a group of termites that performs a specific role within the colony. Here’s how to tell them apart:
- Alates/Swarmers. While these vary in color between species, they all have wings that allow them to fly and are eventually shed.
- Workers. These make up the majority of a colony and have an off-white to creamy colored appearance.
- Soldiers. Often confused for ants, soldier termites have large, dark heads with powerful mandibles.
What do termites look like in my area?
Unless you spot swarmer termites, it is rare to see termites in your home. This is because they are often within the very structure of your home! This makes it difficult to identify what termites you may have in your property. This is always best left to your local termite exterminators at Loyal Termite & Pest Control.
What Does a Termite Look Like? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960