Rats and mice may be active year-round, but they become especially troublesome in Virginia winters when they enter homes to escape the dropping temperatures outdoors. Everyone knows rodents are gross, but they can be dangerous, too!
Once inside your home, rats and mice can cause significant damage to their gnawing and nesting habits. They also are known to carry dangerous diseases! Keep reading to learn the top concerns about dangerous rodents in central Virginia.
Need a pest control estimate?
Are Mice Dangerous?
Rats and mice typically won’t seek out contact with humans and aren’t particularly aggressive. When seen, they will likely scamper out of view. However, their droppings can be hazardous. In the rare case that someone experiences a rat bite, there may be some complications. In very serious cases, rats are capable of spreading disease with their bites. Keep reading to learn the most dangerous diseases spread by rodents.
Diseases Spread by Rats
Although rare, some of the diseases infamously transmitted by rodents include:
- Hantavirus is a potentially life-threatening disease transmitted to humans by rodents, especially the white-footed deer mouse.
- Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, chills, and abdominal problems, all of which should be addressed by a medical professional.
- Salmonellosis is a type of food poisoning spread by rodent feces, especially through the consumption of contaminated food.
- Symptoms include diarrhea, fever, and abdominal pain.
- Bubonic Plague
- Also known as the “Black Death”, the Plague is a highly contagious and often deadly disease notorious for killing one-third of the European population during the Middle Ages.
- This is usually spread by the bite of an infected rodent flea and can cause fever, headache, and painfully swollen lymph nodes.
- Rat-Bite Fever
- Rat-bite fever (RBF) is a potentially fatal infectious disease spread by infected rodents or the consumption of food contaminated by rodents.
- The CDC says that symptoms usually occur 3-10 days after exposure to an infected source and include fever, vomiting, headaches, rash, and muscle pain.
Rodent Exterminator Services
Even though diseases from rodents are rare, it’s still important to be aware of the potential danger of a rat infestation. If you are noticing the signs of rodents in your home, it’s time to call the rodent exterminators at Loyal Termite & Pest Control!Back to Rodent Exterminators – Rat & Mice Exterminators
Dangers of Rodents in Virginia in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960