How to Treat Mosquito Bites
Almost everyone has had a mosquito bite at some point in their life. If dealt with correctly, they can go away in just a few days. To treat mosquito bites, you can do the following:
- Wash your bites using soap and warm water.
- To take care of swelling or itching, put an ice pack on the bite for ten minute intervals.
- Apply anti-inflammatories, antihistamines, and hydrocortisone cream to make the bites less itchy.
- Refrain from scratching the bites so that they heal faster.
How to Make Mosquito Bites Less Itchy
Mosquito bite symptoms usually show up quickly after the bite. Typically, you’ll notice the itchiness first. The bite will form into a raised white welt but will eventually recede into a smaller red bump. To relieve the itchy feeling, use ice packs and over-the-counter creams. Anti-inflammatories or antihistamines can also help. Most importantly, try not to scratch the bites at all costs. Scratching will only make your systems worse.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Top DIY Remedies for Mosquito Bites
There are many things that you might already have in your home that can easy mosquito bite symptoms. Make sure to do a skin patch test before trying any of these homemade solutions. A few trusted DIY remedies include:
- Baking soda and water. Mix up a paste with 1 tablespoon baking soda and water. Leave it on the mosquito bite for 10 minutes before washing it off.
- Oatmeal. A similar paste can be applied to the skin using a mixture of oatmeal instead. You can also sprinkle a cup of ground oats into a bath of warm water.
- Honey. Honey has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory benefits, making it a staple in home remedies. Placing just a bit of honey on a mosquito bite can lessen inflammation and reduce the temptation to scratch.
- Aloe vera. Aloe vera can help more than just sunburns. It has anti-inflammatory properties and can help to soothe mosquito bite symptoms.
When to Ask a Doctor About Your Mosquito Bites
If you begin to experience more severe symptoms, talk to a medical professional right away. More serious symptoms include fevers, nausea, rashes, muscle stiffness, and allergic reactions. Most mosquito bites will heal on their own in a week or less.
Call us today for effective mosquito control!
How To Treat Mosquito Bites in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960