Do Mosquitoes Bite?
Mosquitoes are widely known for biting people. Female mosquitoes pierce skin with their proboscis to feed on blood. Mosquitoes bite small birds and mammals in addition to humans. These bites can lead to bumps and rashes on the skin.
Even more infamously, mosquito bites are known to lead to a wide range of diseases worldwide. It is fortunate for us that mosquito-borne diseases in Eastern and Central Virginia are rare. Either way, no one likes mosquito bites.
Why Do Mosquitoes Bite Humans and Animals?
Female mosquitoes draw blood for the nutrients that it holds. These nutrients are what allow for the production of eggs. While we refer to their piercing proboscis as a “biting” apparatus, in reality, the female mosquito is poking through your skin like a needle. The proboscis is made up of two tubes. One of them transmits saliva containing a mix of chemicals to limit pain, thin blood, and prevent clots. The other draws up the blood.
Do You Have a Mosquito Problem? We Can Help.
Click the button below to leave your information & we'll be in touch in an hour or less.
Mosquito Bite Symptoms in Eastern and Central Virginia
Mosquitoes usually bites us on body parts that are exposed. The usual mosquito bite symptoms include:
- Itchy, pinkish-red bumps start to form just minutes after a mosquito bite.
- Bite marks can become redder and darken over the following days.
- Mosquito bite bumps are less than ½ inch across.
- The most reported mosquito bite symptom is itchiness. Scratching your bites will only worsen the symptoms, and can even leave marks on the skin.
- In drastic cases, severe headaches, fever, nausea, and fatigue can indicate a more serious issue. If you believe that you’re experiencing these symptoms in conjunction with a recent mosquito bite, talk to your doctor immediately.
Will a Mosquito Bite My Pets?
Yes, mosquitoes can and will bite your pets, whether they be cats, dogs, or many other kinds of animals. Cats are less likely targets because of their thick coat of hair. Mosquitoes will bite them on their nose and ears, though. Dogs, on the other hand, are easier victims. On top of giving your pets itchy bite marks, mosquitoes can pass along diseases to animals just the same as they do to humans.
Do Mosquitoes Bite? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960