Springtime in Ashland is marked by the emergence of blooming trees and flowers. With this beauty also comes an unavoidable truth: the beginning of mosquito season. The increase in temperature and rainfall creates the perfect environment for these pests to begin breeding.
Mosquitoes are opportunistic and can lay their eggs in small amounts of water. It is important to start mosquito prevention early; personal measures and professional pest control together can help you be pest-free this year!
The Dangers of Mosquitoes
Mosquitoes are not only annoying pests that cause itchy bites, but they can also pose significant danger to humans. These pests are known to transmit several diseases through their bites. Considering mosquitoes feed on a variety of animals and humans the risk for exposure is heightened. Some diseases that mosquitoes can transmit are:
- West Nile Virus
- Zika Virus
- Dengue Fever
These diseases can range from mild to severe, and in some cases can even be life threatening. Mosquitoes can also cause allergic reactions, such as swelling, redness, and itching around the bite site. Overall, mosquitoes are considered to be one of the deadliest animals on the planet and are responsible for the death of nearly 725,000 people worldwide. Early mosquito prevention is paramount in protecting you and your loved ones from potential health risks!
Mosquito Prevention Measures: What Works
If you’ve ever tried to get rid of mosquitoes before, then you know that not all DIY techniques work… in fact, many of them don’t. Thankfully, however, there are a few measures that DO work:
- Drain Standing Water: Mosquitoes breed in standing, stagnant water. They only need a half an inch of water to create a sufficient nursery. By removing standing water in your yard, you can prevent an infestation. Turn over any buckets, flowerpots, or other containers that can collect rainwater. Additionally, fix any leaky outdoor faucet or pipes.
- Use Insect Repellent: If you are spending a lot of time outdoors, make sure to use an EPA-approved insect repellent that has at least 25% DEET or picaridin. These are effective repellents that can keep mosquitoes away from you and your family.
- Mosquito Netting: Nothing ruins a relaxing breeze on a cool summer evening like a mosquito buzzing around your face. Placing mosquito netting on your doors, windows, or around your outside seating area can prevent mosquitoes and other insects from invading your space.
Mosquito Prevention: What Doesn’t Work
Unfortunately, not all of the ‘solutions’ on the Internet are actually valuable. A lot of online mosquito prevention techniques simply don’t work – or could even worsen your infestation by attracting new pests. Stay away from these less-than effective control methods:
- Citronella Candles: While these candles can be effective if you are directly next to them, they are less than ideal for large areas. Citronella candles lose their potency quickly and need to be replaced often.
- Essential Oils: These oils have gained in popularity over the years, but they do little to deter mosquitoes from biting you. There is a lack of standardization among essential oil products so the effectiveness is affected. Instead of trusting essential oils, stick with DEET-containing insect repellents.
While there are many ways you can prevent mosquitoes from settling in your yard, the fastest and most effective method you can use is a professional extermination service. The experts with Loyal Termite & Pest Control have been providing superior customer service since 1960. Trust our expertise to provide you and your family with the most effective mosquito control solution for you. Contact us today to get a free quote and start living your life pest-free!
Mosquito Prevention: What You Can Do in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960