It’s National Pest Month and officially the start of the pest season. In the coming months, homeowners are more vulnerable than ever to pest infestations. One of the worst pest problems this time of year in the Henrico and Richmond VA area is mosquitoes! As the weather warms up, mosquitoes will start to breed and infest yards. Thankfully, there are a few things you can do now to help limit the chance of getting a mosquito problem later on.
In honor of National Pest Management Month, the team here at Loyal Termite & Pest Prevention is sharing their top mosquito prevention tips for homeowners.
Best Mosquito Prevention Tips & Tricks
Everyone has dealt with mosquitoes before, and no one wants them ruining their backyard events! Mosquitoes are certainly a nuisance, but they can be dangerous, too. There are several things you can do to help protect you, your family, and your property from mosquitoes in the coming months:
- Maintain your yard. Regularly maintain your garden and lawn to keep the grass short. Also trim back all plants and bushes to prevent mosquito resting spots
- Remove all standing water. Get rid of any standing water in buckets, flower pots, bird baths, tarps, and more to eliminate mosquito breeding spots!
- Install screens on your windows and doors. Doing this can save you the grief of getting mosquitoes inside every time you open a window or door.
- Add fish to your ponds and agitate the water. Certain types of fish will feed on mosquito larvae. Also consider buying an agitator, which will stop mosquitoes from laying eggs in the water.
- Install fans! Mosquitoes do not like the wind and are not strong fliers. Use fans to help force them away from your outdoor decks and patios.
How to Prevent Mosquito Bites
Whether you have an upcoming trip to a lake or a camping getaway, it’s important to learn about mosquito prevention when you’re away from your home. There are several things you can do to lessen the risk of getting bitten by mosquitoes this summer:
- Avoid going outdoors at dusk and dawn, which is when mosquitoes are most active.
- Try to stay away from swampy areas or spots with standing water.
- Wear light-colored, long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Following the manufacturer’s instructions, apply an EPA-registered insect repellent.
Help With Mosquito Prevention
Mosquitoes are a big nuisance and can easily ruin any outdoor gathering. If you’ve done all you can to prevent mosquitoes in your yard but still are dealing with these pesky insects, it’s time to call your local mosquito exterminators. Here at Loyal, our team will work with you to develop a custom mosquito control plan suited to the unique needs of your property. Call us today to learn more!
Mosquito Prevention 101 in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960