Serving Henrico | Richmond | Ashland
The last thing any homeowner wants to see is a rat or mouse scampering across their floor. In addition to being simply gross, rats and mice are also dangerous. They are filthy and capable of contaminating any surface they walk across.
No matter what type of property you live in, rats and mice are a threat to all homeowners and property owners throughout the year. To avoid dealing with the frustration of a rodent infestation, it’s important to know how to prevent them in the first place.
How to Tell if You Have Rats or Mice
Unlike some pests, it’s rather easy to tell when you have a rodent problem.
Some of the top signs of a rodent infestation include:
- Droppings: Rodent droppings are odorous and can cause a safety hazard. This is the top sign of rodents!
- Gnaw marks: If you check your food pantry and notice packages with little holes or gnaw marks, it is indicative that rats or mice have been eating your food.
- Nesting materials: Chewed up, shredded paper found in your attic, in boxes or drawers can be a sign of rats or mice making nests in your home.
- Odors: A stale smell that you can’t explain or foul odor from droppings and urine are big indicators of an active infestation.
- Strange noises: If you notice chewing, scratching, or gnawing sounds in the attic or in your walls, it’s probably due to mice or rats.
- Burrows or tunnels: Check under boards, in the doghouse, weedy spots, and near garbage cans for signs of burrows, which means rats and mice may be tunneling into your home.
- Runways or tracks: Rats and mice might leave tracks along the floor, so spread out some talcum powder along countertops and baseboards to see if you notice paw prints.
You’ve Noticed the Signs of Rats—What Now?
As soon as you notice one of the aforementioned signs of rodents in your property, it’s time to call a professional rodent exterminator. Mice can infest even the cleanest of homes in no time at all. In addition, rodents breed at lightning speed, giving them the capability of quickly spreading. Rats breed throughout the year, and one female can produce up to five litters per year, numbering fourteen or more! For this reason alone, it’s absolutely essential to get treatment for rodents as soon as you notice the signs of an infestation.
Do You Have a Rodent Infestation?
Getting rid of rodents requires an aggressive approach. No homeowner wants to deal with rat extermination on their own, which is why it’s important to call a professional mice exterminator as soon as you notice the signs of a rodent infestation. At Loyal Termite & Pest Control, we know how distressing rats and mice are, which is why we’re proud to provide central Virginia with effective rodent control.
Call us today to learn more!Back to Mosquito Exterminators, Control & Removal
Signs You have a Rodent Infestation in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960