Bug bites come in all shapes and sizes. Some pests will attack you in broad daylight, others sneak up on you while you’re sleeping. Some specialize in air travel, others have to crawl up your leg.
Flying pests can be the hardest to avoid when it comes to bites. They can approach you at any angle and with many kinds of strategies. Here in Eastern & Central Virginia, no-see-ums, gnats, and mosquitoes are some of the most common biting pests. Read on for Loyal Termite & Pest Control’s expert advice on identifying these pests and telling apart their bites.
No-See-Ums vs Gnats vs Mosquitoes
These three pests are some of the most annoying insects in the region. We’ve all probably run into them at some point—here’s how to tell them apart next time you do:
- Gnats: Coming out in throngs every spring and summer, gnats are tiny flies that are often seen in clouds of hundreds or thousands of individuals. Their body color ranges from gray to black. They are often found around damp soil, fruit left out, or plumbing fixtures.
- No-see-ums: These pests are a specific kind of gnat. They are very small, at only about 1/16” long, and as such are able to fly through many window screens and similarly small screens.
- Mosquitoes: Much larger than the other two, mosquitoes are more easily recognizable. They have long wings and a long proboscis that protrudes from the front of their face and allows them to draw blood.
Some Differences Between Bug Bites
A helpful way to tell apart what kinds of pests you’re dealing with in Eastern & Central Virginia is by learning how to identify their bites. Mosquitoes, gnats, and no-see-ums all operate in different ways, and this is reflected in the symptoms that we feel when they bite us. Here are the main differences between the bites of these three pests:
- Gnat bites: Gnats leave us with small, bright red bites that look similar to mosquito bites.
- Mosquito bites: Mosquito bites differ from gnat bites in a few ways. Their bites are often lighter in color and are less likely to take place around your face.
- No-see-um bites: No-see-um bites last for longer than mosquito bites and are often found in small, dark red clusters, as opposed to spaced-out mosquito bites. They slice into our skin with sharp parts of their mouth, so the pain tends to be worse and the bites take longer to heal.
In a nutshell, you can compare gnat bites and mosquito bites to each other by how close together they are, how dark the color is, and how long they stick around.
Avoiding Bug Bites in Eastern & Central Virginia
Applying bug sprays containing up to 20% DEET is one of the best ways to avoid bug bites in the spring and summer. However, if you can’t catch a break from biting insects on your property, a professional pest control company can help you get rid of whatever they are. At Loyal Termite & Pest Control, we have the necessary tools to get rid of no-see-ums, gnats, and mosquitoes, ensuring that they don’t come back any time soon. Contact us today for a free quote!
No-see-ums vs Mosquitoes vs Gnat Bites—What’s the Difference? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960