Pest problems are a fact of life in Virginia year-round, but springtime sees a flux in activity. You may be welcoming the warming weather, but unfortunately pests are too. With spring being only the start of the pest season ahead, now is the time to safeguard your home against them. In addition to working with a pest control expert, there are several ways you can implement springtime pest prevention methods into your spring cleaning routine this year. Read on for expert tips from the team at Loyal Termite & Pest Control!
Most Common Springtime Pests
A lot of pests that are troublesome in the springtime are active throughout the entire year. However, they have a peak in activity during the spring, especially after being more dormant in the winter months. The most common pests you need to look out for in the springtime here in Virginia include:
- Ants. With warmer weather comes hoards of ants in your home.
- Termites. It’s officially swarming season, meaning many termite problems begin at this time.
- Rodents. Although they’re active year-round, rats and mice are a problem in the spring.
- Stinging insects. Wasps and hornets are gearing up to build nests this time of year.
- Stink bugs. After overwintering, people report a resurgence in stink bugs.
Avoid Springtime Pests with These Tips
It can be hard to prevent pest problems that sometimes simply seem inevitable. With so many people spring cleaning their home this time of year, it’s smart to implement some simple pest prevention methods to lessen your chance of an infestation in the coming months. Some of these tips include:
- Thoroughly cleaning your windows and doors. Seal any cracks or crevices.
- Deep-cleaning your carpets and rugs. Vacuum, shampoo, or even steam-clean the surface.
- Sanitizing and cleaning your kitchen with a focus on your appliances. Crumbs and spilled liquids will welcome all sorts of bugs and pests.
- Removing debris from your yard, and trimming any shrubs or tree branches away from your home. Clear out your gutters and downspouts.
- Checking on plumbing and pipes. Quickly address any leaks or blockages.
- Keeping a tidy home at all times. Clean under furniture, wipe down surfaces, and inspect areas of your home that need some fixing up.
How to Control Pests Year-Round
If you’re dealing with pests despite your best efforts to prevent them this spring, it’s time to enlist the help of a pest expert. At Loyal, our exterminators will work with you to protect you, your family, and your home from pests not just in the spring but all year long.
Look Out for These 5 Pests This Spring! in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960