Bed bugs are one of the most feared pest problems for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons is that they are capable of spreading quickly throughout your home—even worse, they often do so silently. Compared to some pests, bed bugs move and reproduce at a relatively slow rate. However, it is because they move so silently that their spread can go unnoticed for some time. Before you know it, you could have a full-force infestation on your hands. For this reason, it’s crucial to learn how to stop a bed bug infestation in its tracks. Learn how with the bed bug control experts here at Loyal Termite & Pest Control!
Can People Spread Bed Bugs?
Because bed bugs bite people, it’s easy to assume people can spread bed bugs. However, this is not the case. Unlike fleas and ticks, bed bugs do not latch onto people. Instead, they will retreat after feeding. Bed bugs most commonly are spread when infested items are moved from one area to another. Typically, this happens when infested furniture or items are moved from one room to another. The spread of bed bugs can also be traced back to travelers and college kids bringing home infested suitcases.
Tips to Keep Bed Bugs From Spreading
To prevent bed bugs from spreading throughout your home, it’s important to learn how to inspect for bed bug activity. In addition, some of the best ways to prevent bed bugs are to:
- Be wary of purchasing second-hand furniture unless you’ve inspected it thoroughly for bed bugs.
- Place protective covers over the mattresses and box springs in your home.
- When traveling, use hard shell suitcases and thoroughly inspect your hotel room for bed bugs. Always store luggage up off the ground.
- When arriving home from traveling, steam clean your suitcase and wash all clothing before storing everything away.
- If you utilize shared laundry facilities or a laundromat, seal your clothes in a plastic bag to and from the facility, and always fold your clothes at home.
The Spread of Bed Bugs in Virginia
If you’ve done all you can to stop bed bugs from getting in your home and are still noticing the signs of their activity, it’s time to call the bed bug control experts at Loyal Termite & Pest Control. Our team of experts will get rid of your infestation and keep you safe from bed bugs for good. Contact us today to get started!
How Quickly Do Bed Bug Infestations Spread? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960