Although cockroaches are a common pest throughout the year, they tend to be more common than ever in the summer months. This is because roaches are attracted to warmth and humidity (which is why they’re often found in kitchens and bathrooms). While roaches are considered to be hardy insects that can survive in a variety of climates, summertime is when they thrive here in the Henrico VA area. They can enter homes and, once inside, breed at rapid rates. Seeing even one cockroach is a bad sign there are many more nearby, making it important to know how to keep cockroaches out in the summer. The team at Loyal Termite & Pest Control are here with expert info on summer cockroach activity and tips for how to prevent it.
5 Tips to Keep Cockroaches Out This Summer
A cockroach problem, once established, can be very difficult to get rid of. For that reason, it’s best to know how to prevent them in the first place! Our top tips include:
- Inspecting the perimeter of your home and seal cracks and crevices. Seal windows and doors or install screens.
- Keeping a clean home. Wipe or clean up any spills or messes in kitchens and bathrooms. Avoid letting clutter pile up.
- Picking up pet food bowls after mealtimes. Try to avoid leaving food out overnight or for days at a time.
- Securely storing all food in tight-fitting airtight containers, and refrigerating unsealed food.
- Ensuring your garbage cans are sealed with a tight-fitting lid, and routinely take it out when needed.
Are Roaches More Common in the Summer?
Yes! Roaches are a problem all year long, but summertime is when we get the most calls about these pests. Many types of cockroaches will lie dormant during the winter to wait out the heat that summertime brings. Once summer rolls around, cockroaches breed at a more rapid rate, which is why infestations can explode in size. If they get indoors, they are likely to hide in dark, damp areas; this is why infestations can often grow out of hand before you realize there is a problem. The best thing you can do to avoid a summertime roach problem is work with an exterminator to keep them out to begin with.
Summer Roach Infestation Help
Cockroaches are known to be gross, but they can be downright dangerous, too. Cockroach infestations are known to trigger allergies in certain individuals. They also carry and spread potentially harmful germs and bacteria. For these reasons, it’s never wise to rely on DIY cockroach control. Always contact the licensed roach exterminators at Loyal for help with a summer roach problem.
Do Cockroaches Like the Summer Heat? in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960