With all of the cockroach species that are active in Eastern & Central Virginia, it is a difficult but important task to be able to differentiate between them. Taking note of the cockroach species in your home will allow you to discern their most likely infestation sources and select the best methods of treatment to get rid of them. In this blog, we will cover the features and habits of the Oriental cockroach, one of the more common species living in our area. Read on to learn more about them with the Loyal Termite & Pest Control roach removal team!
What Do Oriental Cockroaches Look Like?
Oriental cockroaches are often called “black beetles” or “water bugs” because of their similarities in appearance to some other insects in the area. You can identify them by these features:
- Adults will be anywhere between ¾” and 1¼” long
- Shiny, dark red to black appearance
- Long antennae
- Males have wings that cover about half of their bodies
Unlike some of the other cockroach species in our area, oriental cockroaches cannot climb up vertical surfaces, so you are more likely to find them low to the ground in cupboards, basements, sewers, drains, bathrooms, and similar places. Although they don’t have as prolific breeding cycles as other roach species, they are quite resilient creatures that can multiply in your house with ease.
Do I Have Oriental Cockroaches?
Seeing a cockroach in the day means that their nests are full and you likely have a serious infestation. If you think you might have an oriental cockroach infestation in your home or business, here are some signs to take note of for confirmation:
- Brown smear marks across surfaces. If the infestation is near a water source, then cockroach feces will appear smeared.
- A nasty odor. People often report smelling foul odors that lead them to a cockroach nest.
- Molted skins. Cockroaches shed their skins anywhere from 7 to 10 times as they grow.
- Dead cockroaches and empty eggshells. These are the last kinds of evidence of cockroaches you might find before becoming aware of your live infestation.
We have all heard stories about cockroaches being the most resilient living insects. In most cases, trying to concoct your own DIY roach remedies or using store-bought pest control products will not be enough to get rid of roaches entirely.
Professional Roach Control in Eastern & Central Virginia
As soon as you notice the signs of oriental cockroaches in your home, it’s time to contact the expert cockroach exterminators at Loyal Termite & Pest Control. We have the tools and expertise to locate the nests of and eliminate all kinds of roach species in our region. Reach out today to learn more and get a free quote!
Common Cockroaches in Eastern & Central Virginia: Oriental Cockroach in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960