Because cockroaches can spread quickly, it’s important to recognize the initial signs of an infestation in hopes of stopping the problem early on. A foul odor, egg cases or skins, and droppings are the top three signs of a cockroach infestation. Not only are cockroaches gross, but they are also carriers of disease and can contaminate a number of surfaces in your home.
Seeing just one roach in your property often indicates an infestation, which should always be handled by a cockroach exterminator. Read on to learn more about how to recognize a cockroach problem in your property.
3 Signs of Cockroaches
Seeing a live cockroach on your property is the most common sign of a roach problem.
In addition, there are three major signs of a cockroach infestation to look out for:
- A foul odor: Some roach species are known to emit a musty, unpleasant odor that lingers and gets more pungent with more roaches.
- Egg cases or skins: Ootheca is brown casings that house up to 50 eggs and can be found before or after the eggs hatch in serious infestations. Skins are often seen where cockroaches are taking up shelter.
- Droppings: Resembling anything from tiny pepper specks to miniature pellets, a large amount of feces is a clear indicator of a cockroach problem.
Need a pest control estimate?
Common Cockroach Behaviors
In addition to knowing the signs of a cockroach infestation, it’s important to understand the habits of cockroaches:
- Roaches are nocturnal insects, which is why they scatter off toward dark corners when you turn on a light. They prefer dark, moist environments and avoid daylight.
- Cockroaches aren’t picky and can survive on a versatile diet. They will eat garbage, wallpaper paste, paper, bookbinding materials, and other organic materials.
- They typically dwell in small, dark areas of a property. They’ll hide under the sink, in the walls, behind appliances, and even within cracks in the floor.
When Do You Need Cockroach Pest Control?
If you think you’ve spotted the signs of cockroaches on your property, it’s important to call a cockroach exterminator as soon as possible. When you work with Loyal Termite & Pest Control for cockroach extermination, we will thoroughly inspect your property to locate where the cockroaches are before coming up with an effective treatment plan.
To learn more about our cockroach extermination, give our team a call today!Back to Cockroach Exterminators, Control & Removal
Signs of a Cockroach Infestation in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960