Roaches are some of the least desirable guests that you can have in your home. Although they aren’t particularly dangerous, they are up there with the most unsettling pests in Eastern & Central Virginia, and even worse, they can be very difficult to get rid of. If you think that you’re dealing with a cockroach infestation, read on to learn more about similar-looking bugs with the experts at Loyal Termite & Pest Control. They might not be what you think they are!
What You Should Know About Roaches
German cockroaches are the most active species living in Eastern & Central Virginia. They are one of the smallest species living in our country, usually only reaching a bit more than ½” in length. They have six legs, wings (but this particular species is flightless), and bodies lined with different shades of brown.
Roaches like to live in warm, humid places, so the cabinets underneath our sinks and the cracks in the walls of our bathroom provide perfect shelters for them.
Need a pest control estimate?
Virginia Bugs That Look Like Roaches
Are you wondering if the insects you’re seeing in your home are cockroaches or not? Here are some bugs that are commonly mixed up with roaches in Eastern & Central VA:
- Cockroach vs Palmetto Bug: Our first offender is actually a cockroach itself! Palmetto bugs were given their name for the plants that they hide in and the unwillingness of homeowners to admit to their cockroach problems. Also called American cockroaches, these beasts can grow up to three inches in length.
- Cockroach vs Water Bug: “Water bug” is a misnomer for many types of insects, including cockroaches. However, water bugs live their lives in the water, whereas cockroaches can only survive on land. True water bugs are also much larger than German roaches.
- Cockroach vs Beetle: There are several beetle species that are mistaken for cockroaches, but roaches can always be told apart by their much longer antennae and legs.
- Cockroach vs Bed Bug: Once you’ve seen both a cockroach and a bed bug, you’ll be able to tell them apart easily. Roaches are much larger and cover broader regions of your home, while bed bugs prefer to live in mattresses, upholstery, and similar materials.
- Cockroach vs Cricket: Crickets can be told apart from roaches by their massive hind legs and more cylindrical bodies. They are also much less likely to infest your home, although they will cause a raucous outside.
Pest Control for Roaches in Eastern & Central Virginia
Whether you have cockroaches, beetles, palmetto bugs, or you can’t tell which, ask your local pest control company for help getting rid of them. The experts at Loyal Termite & Pest Control have experience handling all of the local species of insects that plague homes and businesses and can handle your infestation safely and quickly. To learn more about what we do or receive a free quote, contact our team today!Back to Cockroach Exterminators, Control & Removal
Bugs That Look Like Roaches in Virginia
Serving the Henrico and Richmond VA area since 1960